My Sister's Keeper
Last week I was waiting outside, on the bench at my museum, when a Black woman appeared. Her hair was brown and partially loc'd in a short afro that framed her face, she wore black pants and a red shirt with pink flip flops, she had a matching pink coffee cup and water bottle. She also was talking to herself out loud and sporadically. The whole bench was near empty but she chose to sit near me. I had earphones on, listening to music when I saw her and smiled. I didn't speak. I hadn't noticed yet that she was talking to herself. Maybe she wanted to engage with me but I couldn't hear her. I waited to observe her actions since I couldn't hear her words, nothing seemed threatening.
She did get up several times, leaving her pink beverages on the bench. And I won't front for a fleeting moment, I envisioned a headline featuring myself being blown to bits by a coffee cup bomb, "Black Mama of two, blown to bits by fellow Black woman."
But I shook that off quick, why should I feel afraid?
Black women have been the center of my universe since forever. Just as I write this on the bus, a Black woman threatened another woman then moved closer to me. The irony of my words aren't lost on me, so I refuse to move away. Black women can be the death of me, gladly.
I will never leave us, for I am us. I love us with a ferocity that I am still discovering but I recognize. It's familiar and sacred to me. I will never be afraid of us because I know it's truly only us who see each other. No matter the situation I will look at Sis in the eye and she will know that not only do I come in peace but with absolute love and the utmost respect for her.
This week when I saw my afro-loc'd friend I spoke and shared breakfast with her. She smiled and conversed with me before she went into her rant, she made sure I knew it wasn't directed toward me. I stayed with her until she moved away. She knew with me she was safe and wouldn't be judged.
A phrase I read recently really resonated with me and I hope to keep in mind even when it's difficult to:
"Queens always help each other adjust their crowns."
No matter the circumstance, always recognize and respect each other.
She did get up several times, leaving her pink beverages on the bench. And I won't front for a fleeting moment, I envisioned a headline featuring myself being blown to bits by a coffee cup bomb, "Black Mama of two, blown to bits by fellow Black woman."
But I shook that off quick, why should I feel afraid?
Black women have been the center of my universe since forever. Just as I write this on the bus, a Black woman threatened another woman then moved closer to me. The irony of my words aren't lost on me, so I refuse to move away. Black women can be the death of me, gladly.
I will never leave us, for I am us. I love us with a ferocity that I am still discovering but I recognize. It's familiar and sacred to me. I will never be afraid of us because I know it's truly only us who see each other. No matter the situation I will look at Sis in the eye and she will know that not only do I come in peace but with absolute love and the utmost respect for her.
This week when I saw my afro-loc'd friend I spoke and shared breakfast with her. She smiled and conversed with me before she went into her rant, she made sure I knew it wasn't directed toward me. I stayed with her until she moved away. She knew with me she was safe and wouldn't be judged.
A phrase I read recently really resonated with me and I hope to keep in mind even when it's difficult to:
"Queens always help each other adjust their crowns."
No matter the circumstance, always recognize and respect each other.
Comments
Post a Comment