Intentional Mothering
My first year of motherhood was an opportunity to relive my youth but with my own child. So we went everywhere, did everything and lived our absolute best lives! I would take photographs of everything and share them with my friends and family. Once, while recounting a trip to the farm at a family gathering, a comment was made about our safety while at the farm, something about the proximity of the chickens and other animals to my child while there. I think they asked what would I do if a goat or a chicken were to attack her. Before I could even think of a response, I heard my Mama say,
"You shouldn't be worried about India, you should be worried about the chicken! She knows how to take care of our baby."
When she said it I was taken aback. Honestly, I hadn't even thought about the scenario of a rogue chicken becoming territorial and hurting her. It could've easily happened and been something I worried about that could've deterred me from visiting again but because my Mama interjected and interrupted even the slightest bit of doubt in my mothering instincts, I believed her words.These words stood out because she wasn't someone that just spoke to hear herself talk. Every word she ever used was well thought out and purposeful. And those words spoken at that moment in time are a reminder to myself whenever I doubt my mothering abilities. The confidence she had in me then is what I channel now when I need it.
When I think back at our time together all I recall are thoughtful words, either written or said that encouraged me in every way possible. Her abiding love and belief in me are the reasons why I'm still here.
Happy Mother's Day Ma, thank you for the intentional mothering that serves as the blueprint for my own.
"You shouldn't be worried about India, you should be worried about the chicken! She knows how to take care of our baby."
When she said it I was taken aback. Honestly, I hadn't even thought about the scenario of a rogue chicken becoming territorial and hurting her. It could've easily happened and been something I worried about that could've deterred me from visiting again but because my Mama interjected and interrupted even the slightest bit of doubt in my mothering instincts, I believed her words.These words stood out because she wasn't someone that just spoke to hear herself talk. Every word she ever used was well thought out and purposeful. And those words spoken at that moment in time are a reminder to myself whenever I doubt my mothering abilities. The confidence she had in me then is what I channel now when I need it.
When I think back at our time together all I recall are thoughtful words, either written or said that encouraged me in every way possible. Her abiding love and belief in me are the reasons why I'm still here.
Happy Mother's Day Ma, thank you for the intentional mothering that serves as the blueprint for my own.
Comments
Post a Comment