Clara's Clairvoyance

Picture it. A young woman is having a baby shower for her first child. Her request is not for material things but an offering of something creative.  I tell my Mama the friend's request and she proceeds to ask me everyday for two weeks straight, what I have come up with as my creative offering. I am kinda thinking about it but not with her urgency. So she offers a beginning phrase and from there we craft a beautiful poem. She then tells me that she believes the young lady and I will have a closer relationship, loosely based off our shared experience in motherhood. I scoff at her initially because 'motherhood' has been much lonelier than I imagined it.
Soon after the baby shower, my Mama dies.
Soon after that the young lady has her baby boy.
We become closer through our shared mothering but also in our story telling. She helps me tell my story, she encourages me and believes in me as an artist. She creates safe spaces for me and my children, so I can explore the dark places in my mind and deal with this grief. In her space I bare my soul in front of an audience of women who encourage and mother me in their own way. I find my voice and continue to create and grieve and mother and feel supported always because of her.

Now was my Mama a prophet? I'm still unsure. But what I know for sure is that, she never led me wrong. And when she spoke I am thankful I paid attention, her words are the gems she has left behind to help me keep going.

Comments

  1. That was beautiful, per usual. Idk is Mama Brewer was a profit, but there is some kind of indescribable way that some mamas just know best. Like the Lord whispers in their ear and puts something on their heart that they share with us nonchalantly that can save us in the long run. Idk. The guild was great for you and came and a multi transitional time in your life. Idk. It hard to describe but there in lies super powers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Wonderful Life

The Arm Fat of Normalcy

Been A Long Time...Random Gibberish