In a Sentimental Theme Song...

Mama and I were avid Gilmore Girls fanatics. The show was about the close relationship between a single mother and her daughter. To this day I don't know her true reasons for loving the show but I can guess she saw similarities in our relationship. My reasons for liking it were simple:  I liked the theme song and Ma really liked it. Any reason for us to have a weekly topic of discussion, I could never resist. Ma and I talked all the time, mostly about our day and current events but on Gilmore Girls days, I got to hear her speak enthusiastically about a show she loved. She loved it so much that we couldn't even be on the phone together while it was on television, she didn't want to be 'distracted' and potentially miss anything. We would speak before and after the show. Some of my fondest memories are of us singing the theme song together. We would belt it out to each other whenever we got the chance.

"Where you lead, I will follow
Any and everywhere that you
Tell me to, If you need, you
Need me to be with you
I will follow, where you lead."

Now that the show is in syndication, it's like a moth to a flame, I have to watch it. I watch each episode and think of Ma but also as a brief relief from anything related to Disney or Nickelodeon! So last week, my daughter shocked me. She was fully immersed in her world of tsum tsums (tiny toys), when suddenly she looked up at me and began to sing our theme song. It was a moment that I shall never forget. My daughter at five years old, already looks for ways to bond with me. Music is usually the tie that binds us and quells our daily squabbles. She likes to mimic my moves, which is endearing but this time it was as if she knew how sentimental this song makes me. It felt like I was singing with Ma again, but this time the Ma was me.

Thanks Gilmore Girls!


Comments

  1. That. Was. Beautiful. You never cease to amaze me... Sharing so much of you and the beautiful relationship between you and your mama. I always associate you with all Gilmore Girls. Didn't they have a follow up show recently? You will always be Gilmore Girls to me (I still haven't seen an episode). Your mom was your leader and now you are leading your own

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Wonderful Life

The Arm Fat of Normalcy

Been A Long Time...Random Gibberish