Unstuck Patriotism
What a time to be alive! Before this very moment, the biggest controversy in the news was about a protest against police brutality in this country that got manipulated and desecrated for political gain. It's still relevant because those who are protesting get called all kinds of names including but not limited to unpatriotic.
But what is patriotism?
Patriotism is exaltation in one's nation and an active desire to see that nation succeed. And what I have witnessed in the past few days is no shortage of that.
While watching the Senate hearings to decide if a nominated judge is deserving of the position of Supreme Court justice, Dr. Christine Beasley Ford testified against his appointment based off her personal experience with him. At times it was tough to watch but the whole time witnessing her speak, the truth I was reminded of this word, patriotism. Then the women in that elevator who confronted Senator Flake, by speaking their truth made him reconsider. To want to see your nation succeed and be better than it has been, to acknowledge that there is still room for improvement and actively decide to contribute in making it better. That's exactly what I have witnessed.
I appreciated the terminology Dr. Ford used in her testimony, when she said, "...the boy's laughter was indelible in the hippocampus." Which using context clues, I understood to mean that she couldn't forget their laughter. Traumas are difficult to forget.
When I was about six, I was happily on a playground running around, while my uncle played tennis. I was alone but I remember having fun because I always loved the playground. I was then approached by two teenage boys, who casually approached me and asked if I would have sex with one of them. Now I remember giggling, because even at six I knew sex was for adults. I remember continuing to play when they both surrounded me. I don't remember being afraid but I do remember feeling intimidated. I just kept moving, I still wanted to play but I didn't want to do what they wanted. And just as they both approached me a second time very intimidatingly, my uncle called me over and said it was time to go. I remember being very quiet on the drive home and only telling my Mama and my Grandma. I don't know what was said but I never went out alone with my uncle again. Whenever I play the moment back in my mind which I tend to do often, I always remember that my uncle came to my rescue. It felt like he saved me from whatever could've happened. But he probably could've been watching me better.
Now I realize, though no rape occurred that day it was sexual assault. I learned that during this trial, and it explains why that moment is so significant to me. It is my hope that beyond this juncture, we as a nation change how we regard women. Hopefully with the same respect that has been given to men.
When people, become 'unstuck' by bravely sharing their traumas it inspires others to do the same.
But what is patriotism?
Patriotism is exaltation in one's nation and an active desire to see that nation succeed. And what I have witnessed in the past few days is no shortage of that.
While watching the Senate hearings to decide if a nominated judge is deserving of the position of Supreme Court justice, Dr. Christine Beasley Ford testified against his appointment based off her personal experience with him. At times it was tough to watch but the whole time witnessing her speak, the truth I was reminded of this word, patriotism. Then the women in that elevator who confronted Senator Flake, by speaking their truth made him reconsider. To want to see your nation succeed and be better than it has been, to acknowledge that there is still room for improvement and actively decide to contribute in making it better. That's exactly what I have witnessed.
I appreciated the terminology Dr. Ford used in her testimony, when she said, "...the boy's laughter was indelible in the hippocampus." Which using context clues, I understood to mean that she couldn't forget their laughter. Traumas are difficult to forget.
When I was about six, I was happily on a playground running around, while my uncle played tennis. I was alone but I remember having fun because I always loved the playground. I was then approached by two teenage boys, who casually approached me and asked if I would have sex with one of them. Now I remember giggling, because even at six I knew sex was for adults. I remember continuing to play when they both surrounded me. I don't remember being afraid but I do remember feeling intimidated. I just kept moving, I still wanted to play but I didn't want to do what they wanted. And just as they both approached me a second time very intimidatingly, my uncle called me over and said it was time to go. I remember being very quiet on the drive home and only telling my Mama and my Grandma. I don't know what was said but I never went out alone with my uncle again. Whenever I play the moment back in my mind which I tend to do often, I always remember that my uncle came to my rescue. It felt like he saved me from whatever could've happened. But he probably could've been watching me better.
Now I realize, though no rape occurred that day it was sexual assault. I learned that during this trial, and it explains why that moment is so significant to me. It is my hope that beyond this juncture, we as a nation change how we regard women. Hopefully with the same respect that has been given to men.
When people, become 'unstuck' by bravely sharing their traumas it inspires others to do the same.
Comments
Post a Comment