Representation Matters
This has been a remarkable time in the entertainment industry, specifically in films and television. With more platforms being offered than ever before, means more opportunities to tell stories from a variety of perspectives. I am hopeful that the momentum will be ongoing, which will help folks from all demographics feel honored instead of ignored. I can only imagine what positive effects it will have on our children and the generations to come, but what was unexpected was the effect it's having on me.
Being a child in the eighties and nineties was great, I look back on it with fondness. Though there wasn't much diversity. On television there were mostly white ensembles with one or two people of color. I credit shows like Family Matters, Cosby Show, Sister, Sister and Living Single for being the reflection of Blackness that I needed.
Little did I know that I could feel represented even more with a specific television character. Tasha "Tastee" Jefferson on the show Orange is the New Black, is funny, intelligent, a leader and a loyal friend but also an inmate in prison. The show is so well done, that most of the time you can overlook the fact that the women in these scenes are even locked up, but then you somehow get a glimpse of the bars or the corrupt correction officers and remember the setting. The show is on season six and this one was a tough one for Tastee, she was focused on quite a bit throughout this season. I hate spoilers so I won't get into it but I felt everything she went through because for the first time I saw someone who really looked like me. The actress' name is Danielle Brooks. This chocolate, chubby lady though in prison wear on the show, was beautiful too.
When I was a kid, I went to YMCA day camp every summer. I remember my first day the first year at camp, my Mama stayed with me to get me checked-in, so when they had called the name 'Danielle Brooks' neither she nor I responded because that wasn't my name. They had called all the kids on the list and we were still standing around. The head camp counselor, Mr. Stone had seen us waiting and came over to figure out why my name hadn't been called. Then he said, there it is Danielle Brooks right? My Mama and I both looked at each other and laughed. We had heard the name called but hadn't answered because it wasn't mines. Mama corrected him and thus began my many summers out in the sun. We never forgot this moment because from it came her favorite nickname for me, 'Danielle Brooks'. Whenever I had done something ridiculous she would call out the moniker and I'd know I had done something wrong but laughable!
Maybe this was just a silly coincidence but seeing her shine on screen makes me feel good about myself somehow. I guess since we know representation matters it's great that I can identify so deeply with a character. How come I had to wait so long just to find her in prison though? (I'm just saying)
My hope is that the full spectrum of our lives get represented as well, not just our mistakes but also our triumphs.
Being a child in the eighties and nineties was great, I look back on it with fondness. Though there wasn't much diversity. On television there were mostly white ensembles with one or two people of color. I credit shows like Family Matters, Cosby Show, Sister, Sister and Living Single for being the reflection of Blackness that I needed.
Little did I know that I could feel represented even more with a specific television character. Tasha "Tastee" Jefferson on the show Orange is the New Black, is funny, intelligent, a leader and a loyal friend but also an inmate in prison. The show is so well done, that most of the time you can overlook the fact that the women in these scenes are even locked up, but then you somehow get a glimpse of the bars or the corrupt correction officers and remember the setting. The show is on season six and this one was a tough one for Tastee, she was focused on quite a bit throughout this season. I hate spoilers so I won't get into it but I felt everything she went through because for the first time I saw someone who really looked like me. The actress' name is Danielle Brooks. This chocolate, chubby lady though in prison wear on the show, was beautiful too.
When I was a kid, I went to YMCA day camp every summer. I remember my first day the first year at camp, my Mama stayed with me to get me checked-in, so when they had called the name 'Danielle Brooks' neither she nor I responded because that wasn't my name. They had called all the kids on the list and we were still standing around. The head camp counselor, Mr. Stone had seen us waiting and came over to figure out why my name hadn't been called. Then he said, there it is Danielle Brooks right? My Mama and I both looked at each other and laughed. We had heard the name called but hadn't answered because it wasn't mines. Mama corrected him and thus began my many summers out in the sun. We never forgot this moment because from it came her favorite nickname for me, 'Danielle Brooks'. Whenever I had done something ridiculous she would call out the moniker and I'd know I had done something wrong but laughable!
My hope is that the full spectrum of our lives get represented as well, not just our mistakes but also our triumphs.
Comments
Post a Comment