So Much So/Shyness Set In
So Much So
In Black Panther during battle, the Queen Mother shouted to T’Challa, “Show them who you are!”
He then recited his lineage and it gave him an inner strength that propelled him from the inside-out so much so that he was able to conquer his opponent and become who he was destined to be.
That’s power, there’s power in your name. So much so that when you typically hear your whole name shouted from your parent’s lips, you know it means business. You know something is about to go down!
Spiritually speaking, whenever I find myself in potentially life-threatening situations the first and only name I call upon is Jesus and there's so much so good when that happens.
When you reach a goal, you want to hear your whole name as you walk across that stage to receive your diploma, certificate, degree etc. so much so you want it to be associated with that accomplishment.
Your name and your lineage is important. Never take for granted your title and the power it carries. The knowledge that you have a foundation, a family who loves you. We all show it in our own ways but in each way it’s love. Love that says you belong here, whether you are far or near, you carry us with you.
Dr. Angelou, said “I come as one but I stand as 10,000.” Whenever, wherever you go you carry us and many, so much so you can do anything you set your mind to.
Let us speak who we are, so you can go out there (into the world) and show them:
I am Danielle Dominique, daughter of Dana and Clara, granddaughter of Willie and Clara, great-granddaughter of Vashti and Morice
I am Antonio Ray, son of LaJuanda and Darryl, grandson of Clara and Chick, great-grandson of Vashti and Morice
I am Kenneth Chip, son of Deidere and Kenneth, grandson of Willie and Clara, great-grandson of Vashti and Morice
I am David Amir, son of Nicole and David, grandson of Willie and Clara, great-grandson of Vashti and Morice
I am Campbell Maxine, daughter of Deidere and Kenneth, granddaughter of Willie and Clara, great-granddaughter of Vashti and Morice
I am Kyle Jarred, son of Deidere and Kenneth, grandson of Willie and Clara, great-grandson of Vashti and Morice
I am India Ellise, daughter of Danielle and Brandon, granddaughter of Clara and Dana, great-granddaughter of Willie and Clara, great-great-granddaughter of Vashti and Morice
I am Israel Zion, son of Danielle and Brandon, grandson of Clara and Dana, great-grandson of Willie and Clara, great-great-grandson of Vashti and Morice
I want you to remember this.
Knowledge of self is invaluable, so much so that it encompasses everything you are.
I wrote this to give to my cousins before they went back to school or work. I wanted to arm them and my kids with the knowledge of who they are and how we are connected. I envisioned this space where we would get in a circle and each of us would say our names and declare who we are. I'm positive that this idea and these words came from my Mama. She was so about her people, specifically her immediate family and keeping us connected. I feel like I let Ma down by not sharing these words, for them to know and store in their memory banks, when those moments of doubt that are sure to come appear and try to distract them from their path. I hope I get another opportunity, it feels more like a Kwanzaa moment anyway. Until then...
Comments
Post a Comment